Hack, Make, Teach
We’ve received our license, and can now operate as KJ4NXA.
Makerbot batch 5 ships today, and mine should be in that batch! I already have several pounds of plastic waiting to be extruded. I’ll post build progress.
During a week of vacation, I made very good progress on the brother knitting machine file format.
The wiki page has links.
I’ve also started a python class to interface with these files. That class is read only at this point, but I am also playing with an application to program custom patterns, and that will require adding writing capabilities. Links to that software are also on the above page.
I am posting these now because I am coming up on a period of a few weeks when I may not be able to make much progress on this, and I wanted to go ahead and get it out there.
Here’s another item that I mentioned over on my personal blog a week ago, but it’s worth repeating here.
Antitronics has a Makerbot on order. The Makerbot is a 3d printer that uses extruded plastic to print objects up to about 4″x4″x5″. Susan and I dropped in to NYC Resistor on a day when there were several of these running, and I was blown away by the possibilities.
Look for more about this tool when it’s built and in action – and come by and see it, it will change the way you think.
I’ve been working on an arduino power monitor for the Flying Monkey arts collective. I wrote about it originally
over here on my personal blog.
It’s complete, and I think it’s functional. In order to do the final checkout, I have to put it on a wired net, as all that’s available here (at antitronics) at the moment is wireless.
I ended up finding arduino code that Maurice Ribble had written that was almost exactly what I needed, which made it very easy.
Provided that it works, the only remaining thing to be done before putting it into service is to check it against some sort of calibrated standard, or at least to use an accurate AC current meter to compare the output of the current probes with the A/D values that the arduino reads. It should be OK as the analog front end came out of another current monitoring project, but I need to check it.